Monday, October 20, 2008

"I Wish"

by Susan Tuggy

I wish I could keep you from getting hurt...
no cuts,
no bruises,
no tears.
I can't.
But I CAN...
give you a neon orange bandage,
or put some nice cold ice on your owie,
or hug you tight enough to squeeze the tears out.

I wish I could make every day sunny and warm...
no storm clouds,
no cold winds,
no smoggy air.
I can't.
But I CAN...
give you an umbrella,
or find your warmest jacket,
or do something fun with you inside our home.

I wish I could cook only your most favorite foods every day...
no spices,
no squish squash,
no funny fish.
I can't.
But I CAN...
have you try one very small bite,
or put ketchup on it,
or serve it on your favorite plate.

Oh, how I wish I could keep you from getting sick...
no runny nose,
no chicken pox,
no tummy ache.
I can't.
But I CAN...
help you blow,
or rub lotion on your spots,
or rock you in my arms till you feel better.

I wish I could say everything just right...
no cranky words,
no hurt feelings,
no bad days.
I can't.
But I CAN say...
"I'm sorry,"
or "Please forgive me,"
or "Will you ask Jesus to help Mommy?"

No THAT I can do!