Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Book Review: Beneath the Night Tree

Being a friend to several Christian single moms, this one was close to my heart. It helped me see more of what they have to deal with especially in terms of relationships and keeping it all together.

This was a great read and I found myself wanting to continue reading it, even after I chose a stopping point. I got wrapped up in Julia's love for her son, brother and grandmother. I loved how her grandmother was such a major influence in Julia's life.

Single parent Julia DeSmit is defined by the roles she fills: mother, granddaughter, sister, student, worker.... Mothering her five-year-old son and her eleven-year-old brother is the great joy of her life, but also a huge burden. Although she shares the task with her aging grandmother, Julia still feels the weight of her responsibilities. Her long time boyfriend, Michael, seems to hold the promise for a better life - security, love, shared responsibilities - but while he is in school miles away those promises remain elusive. The biggest problem that Julia faces, though, is how to maintain the closeness and love she feels with her small, unusual family once Michael becomes a permanent part of her life. Will his love hold the key to the normal life she hopes awaits her? Then without warning Julia is contacted by the last person she ever expected to hear from again - the father of her five-year-old son. With his single question - "Do I have a child?" - Julia's well-ordered life is gone. What takes its place is the answer to the prayer that she didn't hope to pray - a prayer answered beneath the night tree.

I realized after I started reading that it was part of a series, but you could read this by itself as well. I hope you get a chance to pick it up and read it.

Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments: